As women, we know what it’s like to battle PMS (premenstrual syndrome). We’ve felt the back pain, the swollen breasts, the headaches, and the lack of energy. We’ve learned to deal with the bloating and the breakouts.
Almost every woman experiences PMS at some point in her life, but for some unlucky women, around 20 – 40 percent, they struggle with these symptoms every month!
Although researchers once attributed PMS to fluctuating hormone levels, scientists now believe that the symptoms have more to do with changes in neurotransmitter levels like endorphins and serotonin.
Luckily, PMS can be managed in much the same way as menstrual cramps so you don’t have to suffer!
If you are struggling with PMS, try some of these simple tips:
- Try to maintain a regular sleep schedule of between 7 and 8 hours.
- Exercise regularly to improve circulation, boost your metabolism and relieve stress.
- Don’t skip the carbs! They help boost serotonin levels and relieve depression, tension, confusion and fatigue.
- To beat bloating, skip the salt and drink more water! It may sound strange, but this actually reduces water retention.
- Up your calcium intake to decrease pain, food cravings, mood swings and bloating. Try a calcium supplement!
At Fayetteville Women’s Care, our goal is to keep all women happy and healthy. We want you to feel as comfortable as possible. If you’ve tried everything you can to keep unwanted PMS symptoms at bay, we are here to help!
Don’t be afraid to talk to your doctor about your struggles with PMS if you feel like you can’t manage it on your own. Keep a diary of your symptoms for a few months and bring it with you during your next appointment.
Our staff at Fayetteville Women’s Care is available and expertly prepared to offer prescription solutions and other treatment options that best suit your individual needs! Schedule an appointment today! (910) 323 – 2103